Monday, August 2, 2010

Rate My Look- Do I Practice What I Preach?

A few of my recent posts have covered how to pull off different looks- specifically skinny jeans and boots in summer. But to prove I practice what I preach, I've put together a couple of outfits that I've worn since I got home from my vacation. Most of the pieces were purchased on that vacation, but they all work to help demonstrate the advice I wrote in those posts. For starters, the skinny jeans look:


While this may not be the best or most creative outfit I've ever put together, it does follow the rules of wearing skinny jeans- cinched high waistline and monochromatic pairings. I purchased almost this entire outfit on vacation at TJ Maxx. The skinnies were a bargain- Ralph Lauren for $17. The top was $10 and the vest was $7. Bargains all around if you ask me! The top and vest are both very flowy, with lots of billowing fabric. This type of style doesn't often flatter my body, so cinching them together with the skinny belt helps keep it flattering and sleek. The skinnies work a lot better on me with the bottom cuffed, especially since I decided on flats, but with heels I could easily un-cuff them and still look pretty good.

Next up is the boots in summer conundrum:



I'm sure you remember this dress from this post, but this time I removed the sash that came with it and added the thicker blue ribbon sash for a fun color combination. The boots are the ones I found on consignment while on vacation. They were perhaps the best deal of the trip at a measly $12! Seriously, isn't that a bargain? Get a closer look at them- you know you want to!


Could they be any more fabulous? I'm SO diggin' cowboy boots these days. As a born & raised Yankee, I find wearing them ironic. And they are actually the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever worn. Seriously, I don't know what makes them so magical, but I plan on wearing these babies a LOT. But this isn't about just the boots, it's about wearing the boots in summer. I've paired it with a light, feminine sundress and some complimentary accessories. The whole effect works despite the 90-degree weather.

So there you have it- two examples that I do my best to practice what I preach. What do you think? Leave a comment!

5 comments:

Totally Inspired said...

I think you nailed both looks.. and I def love those boots!!! I know you will do fabulous things with them. Great vacay purchases!!!

Beth said...

I love when you do outfit posts. Great looks. I think the jeans outfit is awesome

Nefertiti said...

j aime bcp la deuxieme tenue ;O)

LuceBuona said...

Loved the jeans! And you are totally right, you can never go wrong with monochromatic garments.

The dress is adorable! I must say I didn´t expect to find boots on that outfit, but they look great!!:D

Maria said...

I would have said that boots in summer never look good, but I stand corrected. They look great with that dress! Both outfits look terrific.

Related Posts with Thumbnails