Tuesday, August 31, 2010

ANNOUNCEMENT: I have BIG news

As the title suggests, I have big news to share with all of you today. As you know, I am currently residing in Lancaster, PA working for American Music Theatre as their costume designer and wardrobe manager. While I absolutely LOVE what I do, I've made the decision to leave my job. I submitted my resignation today with October 1st as my final day. After that I will be packing up and moving back to New Hampshire to regroup and figure out my next step. I'm sure this move is going to come as quite a surprise to everyone here in PA, but I've done a lot of thinking and praying and soul searching and I have made the decision to make a leap of faith.

I've never liked being around people who aren't happy in their situation and spend a lot of time complaining about it and just being miserable. I resolved a long time ago that if I make a strong attempt to resolve the things that are making me unhappy and it does not work, then I will not be one of those people. I resolved to do something to change my situation. Even if the change ends up being worse than the previous situation, at least I will know I've made a solid attempt to change things.

I am definitely scared about finding work once I move, but I have been in worse situations before and I've landed on my feet. Several years ago, I was let go unexpectedly from my day job. It was not a happy day, but what resulted was that I ended up doing more freelance work and after a few months, I was working full time for the theatre where I learned almost everything I know about costume design. If I had never been fired, I might never have gotten into design at all! It was a blessing in disguise. In this situation, I'm voluntarily placing myself in a precarious position, as opposed to someone doing it for me. Some have said it's "brave" others have referred to this choice as "admirable." That may be true, but right now it mostly feels scary. Quitting a job that pays well and provides great benefits is a little frightening, but I am confident that it's the right thing for me to do at this point in my life. I once heard a quote that really stuck with me, and it's very fitting for my current situation: "When I have come to the edge of all the light I have known, and am about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith teaches me one of two things will happen. Either I will find a solid place on which to set my foot, or I will fly." I'm crossing my fingers for the latter.

4 comments:

my healthy twist said...

Wow Renee, I am so happy for you!! This sounds like a great move backed by a lot of faith! I really really needed to hear about your courage in this post as well as your comment on my blog about my difficulties. Thank you for being in my "virtual" life! And keep us posted about the new adventure you will be on! You are so strong and brave! XOXO, Natalya

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Best of luck with your new stage in life!

Maria said...

I, too needed to read this. I'm one of those people who hates-hates-hates her job but is too afraid to jump ship. You're inspiring me to have more faith. I can't wait to read about the next phase of your life, which I'm sure will be fabulous (and fabulously dressed)!

Totally Inspired said...

I agree with everyone else, I have no doubt that you will soar to the heights only limited by your imagination! Definitely a faithful moment.. and I cant wait to read all about the journey!

Related Posts with Thumbnails