Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shoesday Tuesday- Sea of Shoes

Happy Shoesday Tuesday, y'all! (Just like wearing cowboy boots, saying things like "y'all" is ironic and fun for a Yankee girl like me.)


So, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about all the controversy surrounding Jane of Sea of Shoes. Honestly, just google Jane her blog and you'll find post after post just bashing her and her blog and her mother's blog Mom of Shoes. Then there was the rant so many people went on a few weeks ago when Jane finally decided to remove comments from her blog. The hate (yes, hate) and rage that people felt towards her was astounding to me. And when I finally got curious enough to visit her blog, fully expecting to be enraged as well... Well, let's just say that didn't happen. At all.

As far as I can tell, Jane is from a very well-to-do family that is heavily involved in both fashion and photography. She's young (I'm guessing 17-18ish) and yet remarkably poised, not to mention totally stunning. She has definitely lived a priveleged life and her clothing and shoe purchases reflect that. She's also cultured and well-traveled, most likely thanks to her parents. She seems to have a great relationship with her mother who owns a vintage clothing shop. But in addition to the extravagant clothing and shoes she sports in her blog, she mixes in quite a bit of vintage and thrift shop finds. I just saw a post of hers where she sported a thrift shop skirt she found for $2.99. To some, that may not be justification for also spending $800 on a pair of designer heels, but to me it shows that she's not purchasing expensive items simply for the label- she's buying (and wearing) them because to her they are beautiful. And the $2.99 skirt is beautiful to her as well. She clearly loves fashion. What is so wrong with that?


So here's my question: Why the hate? It seems like petty jealousy and nothing more. I suppose a blog that reaches the popularity of Jane's is bound to garner some negative comments. That much is to be expected. (Heck, even my humble blog has experienced the occassional negative remark.) It's par for the course. But when I read some of the negative things being written on other blogs about Jane and her blog, I was horrified. It has gone far beyond a simple remark about an outfit not being flattering or stylish to a level of hatred. You can really feel the anger in some of these posts.

I guess my point is that I don't understand why someone would put such an enormous amount of energy into completely bashing another person they don't even know. Some of these blogs are even dedicated solely to ridiculing fashion bloggers in general. That's right- a blog centered around negativity and nothing more. I suppose that's a large part of why I've tried to keep snarky remarks about other bloggers and other people out of my blog. As Leo stated in Inception (GREAT movie, by the way), "Positive trumps negative every time." I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. I suppose I'm particularly disturbed by the fact that it's mostly women ridiculing other women. We have fought for years to be treated as equals to men- to earn the same amount of money (we still don't), to be eligible for the same types of positions in any industry (we still aren't), etc. Why then do we feel the need to constantly cut each other down? Shouldn't we be lifting each other up? Supporting each others endeavors and goals? Is it really that much more satisfying for some to be so negative about others that they actually spend time writing blog posts day after day after day about it?

I'd like to ask all of you to do me a favor today in protest of these negative bloggers. Read one of your daily blogs (preferably written by a woman, but not necessary) and then leave that person a comment of encouragement and support. It sounds so cliche, but let's all be louder than the haters today.

8 comments:

sestinatim said...

This reads like the abstract for a college psychology/humanities course...I think it would be quite interesting and generate some pretty engaging class discussions. Do you have a reading list yet? I hope it's not too long or expensive ;-)

Beth said...

Honestly, I agree with you. I think it it a shame that women seem to bash each other over petty jealousy. When we post we invite comments- good and bad. But the comments you are refering to are just people trying make themselves feel better by bashing others publicly. It's a shame

Beth said...

Your blog is fantastic because it is always upbeat. And you feature both high-end items and accessible items, so I always feel like I can apply and afford the styles you write about. I love seeing real people like you and your friends sporting great looks. Kudos to you, and please keep on doing what you're doing!

LuceBuona said...

Reneé my dear this post is awesome!!
I´ve never heard of this blog Sea of Shoes - I´m starting to think I actually live on a cave!! haha- but I ´ve read tons of negative comments on fashion blogs...but getting to the point of hatred, that is simply insane!
I totally agree with you, is always a good day to support fashion bloggers, as it always a good day to support us women :D
So I´m twitting this post right away!!!

Have a great day sweetie! You rock!!! :D
xoxoxo

Jane Aldridge said...

Thank you so much for your kind words-they came at a time when they needed them most.

It is hard to see people totally misconstrue something you've put so much time and hard work into. People are very presumptuous... my blog isn't just some frivolous hobby I have on the side, it's my job.

"Positive trumps negative every time"...isn't that the truth!

On a day when it seems like everyone is hung up on the negative, this was a very refreshing read.

Thanks very much :)

xo jane

Maria said...

Well said, Renee!

Totally Inspired said...

where is the "like" button? cuz Im lovin this post.. Thanks and you are awesome!

DC shoes said...

Loving the bold colours and playfulness of this collection. The heels on the sandals look really uncomfortable though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails