Monday, August 9, 2010

Rate My Look- I'm eating my words

My best friend told me a few months ago that everyone can look good in a pencil skirt, it's only a matter of finding the right one. I disagreed with her, simply because I felt that a pencil skirt would not work on MY shape. I had not tried one on in years that actually looked good. Then, a couple of months ago, I found a casual denim pencil skirt with an adorable ruffle detail at Ann Taylor Loft. It was on sale for only $14.99, and I found myself eating my words when I tried it on. It actually looked great. At least I can admit when I'm wrong, right? Decide for yourself if this is a successful skirt look for me:


I love the fact that even though it's a pencil skirt, the denim textile and the ruffle detail help to keep it playful and casual. Combined with my Tim Gunn-inspired "Carry On" t-shirt, and some fun layered necklaces, it's sufficiently girly, but not too dressed up. If you aren't careful, a pencil skirt can feel very stiff and corporate. By choosing a denim one, that helps to keep my look casual, but pairing this silhouette with something as casual as a t-shirt also helps prevent the look from being too office-worker-esque.

Since I felt so great in this skirt all day, I decided to swing by the Ann Taylor Loft on my way home from work to see if there was another great deal waiting for me. You never know what kind of bargain you'll find and today was no exception. I walked out with a short grey wool skirt. The shape is more my standard silhouette- fitted waistband with full, short, above-the-knee skirt. But the best part about it was the price: $4.77! Honestly, I spent almost that much on my latte this morning! I won't get to wear it until the fall, but it's going to be a perfect staple for my wardrobe. Grey is obviously a fabulous neutral and the skirt length is going to work with flats, heels and boots. I can picture it already- a pair of tights and some layers on top- there will be plenty of combinations to choose from! It's hard to believe we'll be pulling out the fall looks soon, but I have to admit, I'm looking forward to it. It has been a very humid summer, one where I feel I haven't even enjoyed being outside because it's been so uncomfortable. I'm looking forward to weather that's cool and dry. Until then, I'm going to work on some more fun outfits to make with my pencil skirt. I'm an official convert!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to agree with your friend. I haven't met a pencil skirt on anyone that I haven't liked. And you made a good choice. If you haven't done a pencil skirt before, starting with a denim one is usually a very good idea. I like how this looks on you....

Beth said...

I hate to say "I told you so..." ☺ No, you look great! And who couldn't love a Tim Gunn tee?

Maria said...

That skirt looks absolutely fabulous on you! Love it, and the whole look.

Totally Inspired said...

I agree.. this is a great look on you. chic and spunky at the same time. As u know, I wear my pencil skirt alll the time! Great look on you...

Related Posts with Thumbnails