Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Shoesday Tuesday- Vacation is over

So, tomorrow I begin my 7 1/2 hour drive back to Central Pennsylvania. I will likely post all of my shopping booty from this trip as the week continues, but I just have to tell you that one amazing purchase includes a pair of cream high-heel cowboy boots that are wicked awesome. ("Wicked" is a term New Englanders use to mean "very, very, very." Ex. "Those boots are wicked pissah.") I also got some interesting vintage pieces (like the gloves from the other day), a whole slew of Life is Good garb, as well as a cute outfit from TJ Maxx, and a fabulous sun hat from Marshalls. The best find ever was the boots, though and I'll tell you why when I post an outfit with them.

My vacation consisted mostly of eating delicious food, shopping, and spending time with friends and family. I got to spend some quality time with a lot of good friends who I haven't seen in a long time, so even without all the great shopping, I consider this vacation one of the best I've had. Also, I did manage to eat cannoli and gelato from the North End of Boston, a lobster roll from a dive-y seafood stand (where the best seafood is always served), and ice cream from my favorite ice cream stand (Memories in Exeter, NH). I like to revolve my vacations around food and shopping. Doesn't everyone? I particularly enjoyed eating foods that are regional treats. Central PA has some good food, but I would never in a million years order a lobster roll there.

Anyway, I encourage each and every one of you to take a trip to New England when you have a chance. Not only is there delicious seafood (find the most run-down ramshackle-looking roadside stand near the seacoast for the good stuff), but it's beautiful (mountains, seacoast and a lakes region) and full of wonderful cultural events (like Red Sox games and county fairs). But bring the bug spray or those new clip-on bug repellant things (the black flies are wicked brutal). For breakfast, find a mom & pop diner and make sure to get real NH (or VT) maple syrup on your pancakes. Parker's Maple Barn is a favorite place of mine (order the Parker's Special with the deep fried French toast (deep fried!!!) or the daily pancake- either choice is a winner). Take a day hike up Mount Monadnock- (the most frequently hiked mounted in the word- we recently surpassed Mount Fuji for that coveted title, although the website has yet to be updated) on a clear day you can see all the way to Boston. Speaking of Boston, take a morning to walk the Freedom Trail, then grab lunch in the North End (it'll be cheaper than dinner) followed by a quick trip to Mike's Pastry to stock up on chocolate chip cannoli (get at least half a dozen- you can thank me later). After lunch, if the weather is still nice, take a walk along the Charles River. Check the schedule of the Boston Pops- they may have an outdoor concert on the esplanade. Our Fourth of July concert is legendary and traditionally ends with a performance of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture complete with real cannons and the bells from the Old North Church (which you saw and learned about on the Freedom Trail earlier).

And do it all wearing one of these:

 

Just kidding- you might look like a tourist trying to fit in if you wear one of those t-shirts. Instead, if you really want to blend in, drop your "r's" (pahk the cah at hahvahd yahd) and definitely wear one of these:


Yankee Hater hat, $9.95 (sale price)

Don't you love how they've taken the Yankee's logo and changed the "N" out for an "H?" Clever, right?  Malicious, but clever. And Red Sox fans are nothing if not clever, malicious. Anyway, to pull off the the true Yankee Hater look, wear either the t-shirt or the hat, but not both. You don't want to look like you're trying too hard.

Anyway, I can't tell you enough how much I love New England- just the other day a Boston driver honked his horn at me and it made me smile. So I cut him off and slowed down. It's the New England way.

2 comments:

Beth said...

New England loves and misses you!

Beth said...

I love boston. I am so jealous that that was your vacation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails