Saturday, July 10, 2010

In a rut?


I have a confession to make. I have been wearing the same eye shadow for the last seven years. It feels good to get that out there and finally admit it. Why have I been in such an eye make-up rut? Because I didn't know any better. Make-up and hair styling have never been my forte, but if I were to be truly honest, I'd have to admit that it's because I've never tried to do anything different. It's pathetic, really. I look at the fashion magazines- I see the techniques described in the articles. I watch make-over shows and see how the make-up artists transform the recipient. Then I go to the bathroom and apply the exact same eye shadow as the day before, and the day before that, and so on...

Last night Andrea and I were getting ready to go out after work. Being the great friend she is, she took the time to explain her make-up techniques to me as she applied it. She's been a professional performer in the entertainment industry for many years, so she's accustomed to having to bring her make-up A-Game pretty regularly. Since I rarely have an occassion to glam it up, I tend to just wear a little more of my every day make-up when the situation calls for it. And I'm sick of it. It's time to step out of my comfort zone and try some new things.

Today I went through my entire make-up collection. There's not a whole lot to it. I also took a trip to the drug store and got a few more supplies. Tomorrow will be a day of experimentation for me. I am energized just thinking about it. It's amazing how something as simple as trying a new eye shadow can change my whole outlook on my appearance- proof that I was in a serious make-up rut.

Is there something about your appearance that you've been doing for years? Have you been getting the same hair style since you graduated college? Or purchased the same tube of lipstick on the last 4 trips to the Clinique counter? Does your colorist always use the same formula on your hair? Has it been a while since you tried a new perfume? Maybe it's not even that severe- maybe you've only been stuck in your rut for a couple of months or weeks. My advice? Change it up. Try something new. It's always when I pull out a couple of pieces from my closet that I never in a million years thought to try together that I come up with a new favorite outfit, or at the very least something that feels like a new outfit even if it's five years old. It's about stepping away from our comfort zones and trying something new. Success or failure matters not- it's in the attempt that we'll learn something.

I'm the type of person who says, "If it ain't broke..." but sometimes it's energizing to try something new. Start small and take a cue from a friend. Ask what they like and then try it for yourself. I recently tried a new scent, also thanks to Andrea. I'm incredibly loyal when it comes to scent. I'm also incredibly picky. Once I choose a new scent, I invest in all the available options: the bubble bath, body wash, body spray, body lotion, hand cream and eau de toilet, even scented powder if they offer it. That's why I love Bath and Body Works- they have so many scents available in so many forms. It's wonderful. I have been addicted to "Velvet Tuberose" for about two years now. I'm not prepared to move on from this scent because I really am still in love with it. I love it because it's purely floral. I hate smelling like a fruit bowl or a candy dish. I want nothing to do with "vanilla sugar" or "butter cookies" or "raspberry citrus." No, thank you. I also hate smelling like perfume, especially if it's musky. It reminds me of my grandmother and my mother. Not that they smell bad, but they smell like perfume. I prefer to smell fresh and at least a little natural with a bit of sweetness thrown in. Like I just walked through a garden and came out smelling like the flowers. When Andrea recently introduced me to a new scent from Fresh called "Strawberry Flowers," I was hesitant- mainly because of the strawberry part of the equation. Fortunately, this wonderful scent is more flowers than strawberry and is actually a lovely complement to the velvet tuberose I already wear. And it's just different enough that I feel like I've stepped out of my rut. Maybe I'll end up converting to a Fresh-exclusive scent regime. Time will tell. The point is, for now my eye make-up and scent rut has be disrupted. And that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Roller shoes said...

it is a good share,wonderful post,thank you

Related Posts with Thumbnails