Friday, July 9, 2010

Anthropologie

I absolutely adore Anthropologie's amazing dresses, but I am often even more enamored of the artful way they photograph the clothing. I received a catalog in the mail the other day and fell in love with this photo:


Everything, from the slightly distressed wood on the floor and bed, to the wall coverings, to the light from the window, to the door that stands ajar, to the bright red of the model's lip color- it's all just perfect. Even though the model is clearly posed, it still feels like a shot that involves action of some kind, but instead of motion within the photo, it's the movement of the viewer as we enter the room. It's brilliant. Not brilliant enough for me to buy the dress, though. In fact, this one caught my eye without the artful presentation:



First of all, it's precious. Second, I adore the shoulder detail and the fact that it's asymmetrical. And you know I'm a sucker for florals and this shade of blue, so when they are combined, I can hardly restrain myself.

Another fabulous Anthro item is this adorable purse:

At first I found myself falling in love with this bag, but then I realized it was just the brightly printed scarf tied into a whimsical bow that I was really drawn to. And since that's the case, I don't have to drop $148 on a bag when I could just buy a scarf for $10 and tie it onto any bag in my close. The central placement of the bow is rather appealing, but even with a scarf tied around the handle, it would still offer the same vibe as this one and in a way that keeps my checking account intact. 

Of course, there are the occasional items that don't break the bank. These beauties are all on sale right now, so snatch 'em up while you still can.
From the Earth Sunhat, $29.95 (was $48)

I love hats, especially wide-brim hats that shade my face from the harsh rays of the sun. I have incredibly sensitive skin on my face, so I've recently invested in a few wide-brim hats to help combat the UV rays. This one would be a wonderful addition to my arsenal.


Of course, if the sun is bright enough that I need a hat, I probably also need some shades. I am still on the over-size lens trend, even though aviators and wayfarers are more en vogue these days. Sometimes it's okay to ignore a trend, especially if the previous one really works for you. These days I'm sporting a pair of Jackie O. shades in black. The frames are round and wide and I love them. Maybe they'll make their way on to the blog one of these days.


You all know how much I love my lace-up oxfords- flats, heels, cut-outs, leather, fabric, whatever- I adore them. And these have such a lovely feminine vibe to them. Maybe it's how they're so open- they show a bit more of the foot and ankle. And of course the vibrant red is just to die for. Too bad they're not available in my size, or they'd be on there way to my door right now!


I adore this skirt not only for it's flattering silhouette and interesting layers, but also because it's incredibly versatile. While shiny fabrics aren't always my first choice, this one is more sheen than shine- it's a cotton/linen blend and as such it can be dressed up or dressed down, depending on your mood or your situation. A beaded top and strappy heels would dress it up, while a simple tank with lace trim and pretty ballet flats would just as easily dress it down. It's also essentially a neutral color, so you could pair just about anything with it. Once again, as my size is not available, it will not be visiting my closet anytime soon, but that doesn't mean you can't have it!

Happy Friday, everyone! Enjoy your weekend and try to stay cool!

3 comments:

WickedThrifty said...

sometimes i can't even believe, myself, that i've never even looked at an anthropologie catalog. i hear really good things. but, i'm so cheap that even that gorgeous skirt at $40 is too much for me :P

The Cat and The Cow said...

I cant even put into words how much I love Anthropologie!!!! How cute are those red shoes?!!!! Great post!

Totally Inspired said...

I agree.. Anthro is a cute store.. I cant always fit their items but they are still cute and unique. I may have to add that hat and sunglasses to a shopping cart, lol!

Related Posts with Thumbnails