Saturday, October 30, 2010

Week 1 in the Bridal Industry? Success!

I don't know what took me so long to move into this industry, but I think it's where I'm meant to be! Every day this week, I've been up to my eyeballs in the most fantastic, beautiful, ethereal, spectacular, dreamy, frothy, sparkly, amazing gowns I've ever seen. And these gowns are not just beautiful to look at, they're amazing to touch. The silks are pure decadence- dupioni, taffeta, organza, satin, charmeuse- these are all fabrics I've worked with in the past, but mostly in synthetic form. If I did choose to work with a silk in the past, it was often for a small project because that's all I could afford of the more expensive fabric. For example, the most recent collection of bow ties that I made for Brance included two silk ties. Those were my favorites of the bunch, partly because of how they looked, but mostly because of how they felt when I was working with them. Now imagine yards and yards of that fabric billowing out over a full-skirted petticoat. I'm in heaven. Heaven.

My background in theatre and styling has really prepared me well for the work at the bridal shop. Understanding silhouette, proportion, fit, etc. are all second nature to me, so I'm able to focus on the nitty gritty of their procedures and policies for handling each situation. For example, today I took a woman's measurements for her bridesmaid dress, which as you can imagine, was remarkably simple for me to do. But the process of ordering her gown through the computer system? Well, let's just say I had to call in some back-up. At thins point, I'm still learning a new software system that tracks every aspect of the brides purchases, including what accessories they've also purchased and even what they've selected for the bridesmaids. We also sell Mother of the Bride and Mother of the Groom dresses and even some flower girl dresses. It certainly keeps things interesting with all of that going on.

I hope to have lots of fun stories to share with all of you very soon, but don't worry- I'll still be posting about other things like shopping, my outfits, my tips and tricks, and of course, Shoesday Tuesday. I was a little disappointed that more of you didn't participate in my interactive Twitter #ShoesdayTuesday, but there will be many more opportunities for that in the future. Maybe even THIS Tuesday- check back to see!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Maria said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails