Saturday, October 2, 2010

Baby Fashion

It's not often that I venture outside of womenswear and even more infrequent are my forays into childrens clothing. However, while at a yarn shop with my mom this week, I saw the most adorable baby sweater EVER. I had to make it. I plan to give it to a friend of mine who has a 1-year old at home right now. I hope its not too small for him:

It kind of reminds me of a "Grandpa" sweater, but it's so precious when it's pint-sized!

I just love the wooden buttons on the variegated button band. That yarn choice was actually an accident- I ran out of the solid green yarn and had to choose another color to finish the collar and button band. I was going to do a dark brown solid, but I felt pretty lucky when I found this earth-toned variegated yarn to use. It actually has the same shade of green within the mix of colors, so it looks intentional even though it was practically an act of desperation.  


The pattern is unfortunately only available in baby sizes. I'd love to make matching ones for the parents of the baby this sweater is intended for! For those of you knitters out there, this pattern was literally the easiest pattern I have EVER done. You use one size needles (size 8 circular and dpns), it only uses about 150 gr. yarn in aran or worsted weight. In addition, it knits from the top down, so there are no seams to sew AT ALL. If you are interested in knitting this pattern, it can be found on Ravelry, a free site for knit and crochet. The name of the pattern is "Baby Sophisticate" and in total it only took about 10 hours of knitting to complete the sweater. I'd say my knitting speed is pretty average, so if you are an avid knitter, I'm sure you could finish it much faster than me.

If you are not a knitter, but would like a custom-knit sweater for a baby you know, just email me. I may add this to my Etsy shop, which is another way you could place an order for it.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails