Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hurray! I'm Employed!!!

I promised to update you on my job search and I have a very exciting update today! I was just hired to be the Alterations Manager for Madeleine's Daughter, a bridal boutique in Portsmouth, NH. I am SO excited to start this position later this month. In my work at AMT, I did a lot with formal gowns and I loved it. I figured heading into the bridal industry would be a nice progression for my career. I interviewed last week and wasn't expecting to hear back until the end of October, but I got the offer yesterday and accepted it today. I am really looking forward to it- I know that I have a LOT to learn- I've never worked in sales before and I've never worked in the bridal industry, either. However, I think it's right up my alley. And this opportunity is proof that even if you don't have experience within a certain industry, you can still be the right person for the job.

When I got into theatre, it was originally as a musician- I was playing piano and keyboard for various orchestra pits and I was also working as a musical director for various theatrical productions. After a few years of that, I ended up trying out costume design, completely by chance. I distinctly remember the first costumes I ever made. I was the musical director for a production of "The Music Man" (one of my all-time favorite shows, by the way) and the costume designer was overloaded with work. One of the barbershop quartet members came to me and explained that they weren't going to get to wear the candy-stripe vests that barbershop quartets are so famous for. He was so disappointed and he asked if I knew anything about sewing. I said that I didn't know much, but that I would be willing to try to make the vests. He bought the fabric and a few days later, I'd made the vests for them. He was SO happy! A few weeks later, I was working for another theatre with a different director and he heard from Brian (the barbershop guy) about the vests I'd made. Before I knew it, I was being offered a job working on the wardrobe staff of this new theatre. Two years later, I was the head costume designer and wardrobe manager for AMT and now I'm heading into bridal. You never know where life is going to take you, but if you're open to new experiences, it just might lead to somewhere great.

My point is this: if you are at all unhappy with your current career situation, take the steps to change it. You might not succeed in the way you thought you would, but then again, you might succeed in spectacular ways you never even dreamed of, too. You won't know until you try. My current situation in Pennsylvania was not working out for me. The area didn't provide many opportunities and over time I become pretty unhappy. When I quit my job, packed up my life and moved back to New England, I had no idea what the future held. It was not easy to take that leap of faith, but fortunately for me, I had an incredible support system in my family and friends. I knew that if I moved back to New England, I could end up flipping burgers at McDonald's and my family and friends would still be there to support and encourage me. It helped to take the pressure off the job search a little and as a result, I think I did a better job with the resumes I sent, the interviews I went on, etc.

Speaking of interviews... I mentioned that I was offered a job on the spot yesterday. You may be wondering about that job versus the bridal shop job. Well, fortunately, the job interview yesterday was for a temporary contract working for a ballet company on their costumes. I hope to be able to do at least some of the sewing work before I start up at Madeleine's Daughter. I guess when it rains, it pours!

I'll be sure to keep you all posted on my experiences in the bridal industry as well as any other fashion, style, costume or sewing work I come across in the future. And if you're in need of a formal gown, be it a wedding gown, prom dress, or anything formal, I encourage you to make an appointment at Madeleine's Daughter!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Congratulations on your new job. Thank you for writing so eloquently about it– you are a determined, daring woman, and you deserve every success. :)

Now please tell us, did you actually break your toe?

Renée T. Habashy said...

Thank you so much, Beth! To answer your question about my toe.... I don't really know. I didn't bother going to the doctor, although I probably should have. Up until about 8 PM the night I hurt it, it was pretty excruciating. (Please take that with a grain of salt, I don't handle pain well, so MY version of excruciating, might not be quite so horrible for other people.) Anyway, I went to bed with it swollen, and still hurting and when I woke up, it was still swollen, a lot less painful, but walking on it hurts. I'm limping a little bit, but most people probably wouldn't even notice- it's less of a limp and more that I'm just walking so that I don't put a lot of pressure on that toe. It's definitely turning black & blue and still about twice its normal size. If it doesn't show improvement, I'll probably go to the doctor.

Maria said...

Congratulations on your new job! And I also must thank you for writing about it. I'm one of those people who NEEDS to make a change, but is dragging her feet. I appreciate the encouragement!

Tim W. said...

Hey, catching up with your blog while watching the USC football game--I find that combination quite amusing! Congratulations on the new job! I can't wait to hear stories about the sordid wedding industry and the bridezillas that you meet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails