Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rate My Look- More Monochromatic

Dressing in an entirely monochromatic outfit isn't always easy and sometimes it can actually get a little boring. I am the kind of person who enjoys wearing color, so monochromatic can be difficult for me- I always want to throw a bit of brightness into just about every outfit.

Last week, a "snowstorm" hit our area and as a result, I gave myself an extra 45 minutes to get to work that day. Of course, Murphy's Law dictates that since I gave myself the extra time, it would not be needed. I decided to spend a few minutes taking pictures of my outfit, since I really had nothing better to do. It occurred to me that it was actually a pretty good outfit to put on the blog for a couple of reasons:

Sweater: TJ Maxx
Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft (only $4!)
Boots: Payless

1.) It uses one of my favorite combinations of colors- yellow and grey. Usually, I prefer a more lemon yellow than this mustard-y one, but it still works. 
2.) It demonstrates the monochromatic concept from the waist down, which is sometimes just as effective as an all-over monochromatic look. In this case, the cinched waist of the skirt creates a nice focal point on my silhouette, and then the grey tights and boots help to draw the eye in a vertical direction, creating a lengthening effect. In truth, we know my legs don't actually start way up at the waistline of my skirt, but that's why it's called an illusion. 
3.) It looks great against the snow-y white backdrop. 

Ok, that third reason isn't really fashion-related, but it's still a great reason to include the outfit on the blog. I was a little disappointed in the lighting when I shot this picture. Can you tell what a gloomy day it was? It snowed almost the entire day. I don't mind snow, but I don't like an overcast sky, at least not for long stretches of time. It's been days since I saw the sun. At least my outfit has a bit of sunshine to it. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails