Monday, February 21, 2011

Fashion Week 2011- Betsey Johnson

Whether or not you like Betsey Johnson's design aesthetic, you have to admit, she (and her clothes) have personality. Personally, I love mixing one Betsey Johnson piece into an outfit because it helps add a touch of quirkiness. An entire Betsey Johnson outfit is usually a bit too over-the-top for my personal style, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate her work.

This past week at Fashion Week, Betsey Johnson did something that I think is not only super fun and inventive, but it showed the fashion world and the world beyond fashion that her clothes can translate to any body type, not just the standard 5'9" stick-thin runway model body type. She used her employees as models- various heights, shapes, genders- there was even an obviously pregnant model rocking a skin-tight printed dress. All "models" wore Miss Johnson's own signature blonde hair with blunt fringe (wigs, of course) and what's more, they all appeared to be genuinely enjoying themselves as they strutted down the runway. From peace signs flashed to quirky dance moves, they all seemed comfortable showing their personalities as they showed off their employers designs.

A few of my favorites looks:




Check out the entire show here and then pop back over here to let me know what you think of the designs. 

3 comments:

LuceBuona said...

Great idea! Of course she is innovating, but she is also making her creations approchable, that is priceless!
Loved the jeans on the first ensemble :)

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

I hadn't heard about this. You've gotta love Betsey!

Monica said...

Both me and my kid sister had Betsey Johnson dresses for prom, 8 years apart. We're cool kids, that's all.

Related Posts with Thumbnails