Thursday, April 8, 2010

Another creation

Remember my recent shopping trip in New York? I got the fabric I used to make this dress at Mood in the Garment District. I finally got around to making this fun, flirty dress with it. I didn't buy very much yardage, so the skirt ended up being a little shorter than I normally wear. It's far from obscene, though. In fact, I kind of like the length- it's a little more flirty, don't you think? I also like this dress because I jumped on the "exposed zipper" bandwagon:

I have always felt that good design hinges upon great fabric selection. An amazing fabric can take an otherwise boring, simple dress and transform it into something spectacular. Unfortunately, it also works the other way- a poor fabric choice can ruin an otherwise spectacular design. If you live in the central PA area and would like to find someplace besides JoAnn Fabrics to shop for fabric and notions, I recommend the PA Fabric Outlet. It's actually where I took a couple of pictures this evening:

I've purchased SO many fabrics and trims here, mostly for work. It's one of those hit-or-miss kind of places. Sometimes I go there and wish I had thousands of dollars to spend on fabric. Other times I leave empty handed and uninspired. If you're willing to check back regularly, the Fabric Outlet can be your best friend. On this particular occassion I was only looking for a couple of ribbon options to use as a finishing embellishment on another Bouche Original that I plan to wear soon. I'll take pictures for you to see it.

On the drive home from the fabric store, I decided to stop and take some pictures near one of the many picturesque farms here. I saw a field of black and white cows and absolutely HAD to try to get a picture with some of them. Of course, they saw me coming and they were like, "We're outta here." Only one cow stayed behind, but she eyed me suspiciously the entire time. 
 

Please tell me you can see that evil look in her eye! She was like, "Why are you interrupting my dinner?" I tried to explain to her about the picture taking, but guess what- SHE'S A COW. I gave up because I don't speak "Moo." Anyway, I did manage to get a couple of pictures of the two of us:


When it comes to clothing with a busy pattern, sometimes it's best to just let the garment be the statement. I could very easily layer on all sorts of fun accesories, but I chose instead to keep it simple- a pair of pale blue open toe heels and a simple cocktail ring (to emphasize my recent manicure):



Well, it's late and I'm sleepy. Leave a comment and tell me what you think of this dress or of anything else that comes to mind). Have a great night!

4 comments:

Jan said...

This is stunning ,the cows dont know what they missed out on ,a chance to be famous lol I would like to have seen ther back of the dress with the exposed zip ..love Jan xx

Beth said...

What an adorable and sexy dress, Renee. You have such great legs, and the skirt length shows them off perfectly. I agree with you about the importance of fabric choice. Did you see "Christian Siriano: Having a Moment"? He designed his own prints, distorting the color and shape of photos of the Mediterranean coast to incredible effect. The resulting fabrics are stunning and totally unique.

Renée T. Habashy said...

Jan, I agree people may want to see the zipper in action, however I am not yet prepared for photos of myself from BEHIND to appear on the interwebs. I'm sure you understand.

Beth- How great was that special? I just love Christian and I hope he continues to rock the fashion world. His prints were so stunning and I think it must be the coolest thing ever to be able to create your own prints. How special must those garments be when you made everything INCLUDING the print? So cool!

Astroman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails