Friday, August 5, 2011

Mixing Prints- How to do it Flawlessly

The trend of mixing prints has been around for quite a white, but it's one I hope sticks around for quite a while longer. I love seeing how different prints paired together can create a really interesting look. However, I've seen one technique in particular that seems to work flawlessly almost every time. It's the perfect way to wear mixed prints if you're a little afraid of doing it right. After all, there are some combinations that don't look trendy or put-together at all. Instead, they look more like you got dressed in the dark that morning. Since I don't want any of you in that position, please allow me to educate you on this simple technique.

I have not personally attempted it, there are two fashion bloggers who used this technique this week, so I figured with that kind of coincidence I just couldn't let it go unnoticed. Kendi of Kendi Everyday and Tiffany of A Reason to be Fabulous each created flawless mixed print outfits that I just have to share with you all. Hopefully, they don't mind!

Each of these fabulous style bloggers created a look using two scales and color schemes of the same print. Kendi was successful with her use of stripes and Tiffany rocked some fabulous polka dots:

See Kendi's full post here.

 See Tiffany's full post here

Side note: these ladies put me to shame with their photos. I really need to up my game in that department. Although, I'm pretty sure they both have husbands that help out in that respect, and I think I do pretty well with just a tripod. But I digress...

Anyway, my point is this: these mixed print outfits work really well because they have something unifying them. In both cases, it's not only the color combination of each pieces, but also the fact that it's the same type of print in a contrasting scale. The large polka dots with smaller ones, but all in black and white makes for a sophisticated combination. The stripes are youthful and retro-looking (if we can call the 80's retro), but the blue and white that is consistent in both pieces really pulls the look together. After seeing these two posts on the same day, I started to wonder if there was a style blogger club that I'd missed out on, or maybe the Every Body Every Wear trend of the month was mixing the same prints. Or maybe those two ladies are just cosmically linked. 

Have you been mixing prints these last few seasons? I've definitely done it a few times, but my favorites was this outfit from last year: 


In this case, the unifying factor was the black and white. In fact, most people complimented me on my dress, but when I pointed out it was actually a dress and a blouse, they were flabbergasted! See the original post for this outfit here

Enjoy your Friday and please feel free to leave a comment if you have anything to say about mixing prints, or fashion in general.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails