Saturday, August 27, 2011

Project Runway Season 9 Episode 5

I feel bad for this model:

Anthony Ryan's Look

And I want to BE this model: 

Viktor's Look

Viktor has been NAILING it throughout this season, at least for me. He had a bit of a rough time when he had to work with Bert, but other than that, he's been making some pretty stellar clothes. Unlike Josh M. whose attitude seems bigger than his talent, Viktor's quiet demeanor alongside stellar sewing and design is a refreshing change for the show. And once again he's my pick for the "Would I Wear It?" prize. This is the third look of his that has earned that honor. (Episodes 1, 4 and 5) 

There were some really amazing quotes this week, but one that I found particularly offensive. Anthony Ryan's remark about "not being this pissed since I had cancer" was beyond ridiculous. I'm going to chalk it up to sleep deprivation and team-leader stress making him crack under the pressure. As someone who has not had cancer, I can only imagine how offensive that statement must feel to anyone actually living with a fatal condition like that. I can't think of an excuse that would make it okay for him to trivialize it that way. I suppose I may be over-reacting, but I just can't condone an attitude in which fashion is compared to an actual life-or-death situation. That's all. 

As for the judges decisions, the only thing I don't agree with is the maxi-dress win. But since Viktor's look also secured a win, I can live with it. What do you think of this look?

Anya/Becky/Josh M's Look

I suppose part of me has an issue with the maxi-dress winning because I hate maxi dresses. I hate the way they look. I hate the idea of a maxi with sneakers. I hate pretty much everything about them. But since it's Heidi's opinion that matters, there's not much I can do. 

What do YOU think of the designs this episode? Leave a comment and tell me your thoughts. 



3 comments:

Shannon said...

I liked Viktor's look the best, too. As for the maxi-dress, I thought it was a mess and I still can't figure out why the judges liked it so much. The idea was okay, but the dress itself was sloppy and poorly made. The racing stripe wasn't sewn on properly and neither was the zipper in back. And Anya seems to make the same thing every week- a racer back variation. Boring.

Tim W. said...

Viktor is slowly winning me over...his design aesthetic is really strong and he does seem to have a point of view. The leather and denim jacket was the probably the best single garment so far this season. His week working with Bert really soured me because he was so whiny, but I'm starting to see that Bert is good at bringing out the worst in people.

I liked the maxi dress quite a lot (though probably not as much as Viktor's ensemble), and I found the "sloppiness" to be part of the design that added to the casual feel of the piece, which it needed, IMO. The original design without the stripe was way too formal for the parameters of the challenge, if you ask me, and as much as I hate to say it, Josh M. was right about that. I do, however, agree with you that his personality is bigger than his talent, and I wouldn't be sad to see him auf'd sooner rather than later.

As for Anthony Ryan's cancer comment, it clearly goes back to his whole approach to the disease, of which he is a survivor. Remember this is the guy who wants to use his appearance on PR to set up a nonprofit for testicular cancer, "I'm Rocking One," which he wore as a t-shirt on the first episode. He uses humor and sarcasm to approach difficult situations, and both are valid ways to deal with emotions. Not only that, since anger is one the seven stages of grief, cancer patients often experience quite a bit of it after their diagnoses. To me, Anthony Ryan's comment was highly relatable and gave me a clear picture of his frustration level. I understand why you (or others) might find it offensive, but I actually found it quite humorous.

Renée T. Habashy said...

Tim- Thanks for the perspective on Anthony Ryan. I may have had a knee-jerk reaction to that comment, thinking to myself, "How can he trivialize it like that?" But you have made me see it in a different light. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails