Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Evolution of a Dress

Nearly a year ago, I found myself struck with inspiration. The source was the delicate ginkgo leaf. I remembered a ginkgo tree I used to pass on the walkways on my college campus and I loved the magical quality of the tree. I always thought it was so amazing how the ginkgo shed its leaves all in one day. And of course the unique shape of the leaves is inspiring, too. They are beautiful and dainty and I absolutely love them. I sat down for a few minutes with my fashionary and sketched out a few ginkgo-inspired dresses. 


It wasn't until several months later that I had the fabric and notions necessary to actually sew something. In the end, I combined a couple of ideas from my sketches and created a reversible dress. You may remember the post where I unveiled it, but if not, you can read it here. That dress has since been sold from my Etsy shop, but I think it will always be one of my favorites I've ever designed. Even though it was simple, it was also very unique. 

What images do you find inspiring? Is there something that you think is especially beautiful- a flower, an animal, even something man-made? As a designer or artist, it's important to always look at the world with a fresh perspective. You never know when you will turn the corner and see something that takes your breath away, something that simply won't leave your mind until you act on it in some way. That was the ginkgo leaf for me. Of course, that's not to say this is the last ginkgo-related project I'll have! It was my first, and I hope it is not my last. Time will tell, but in the meantime, I've got to get back to the sewing machine and make some pretty new things for my Etsy shop! Soon there will be nothing left there to sell! (Which I suppose is not a bad thing.) 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyon! 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails