Thursday, November 18, 2010

Accessories Anonymous: Headbands

My coworker, Cheryl, gave me an amazing feather that I am so excited to use to create a gorgeous headband for myself. She had the idea of sewing it to a ribbon rather than an actual headband and I may have to steal that idea. When I actually go through with creating the headband, I'll be sure to post it on here. In the meantime, I've been seeking inspiration on Etsy. Where better to do that, right? Here's what I found:

Braided Faux-Leather Headband, FunnyPeopleCo, $8.75



Harvest Headband, BlackSatinShoes, $19.50 

Something I learned about headbands is that if you are going for an interesting design, but you don't want it to overpower you, select one that is similar in color to your hair. If you have pale blonde hair, but you want to wear a peacock feather, look for a bleached peacock feather headband instead, like this one: 


See what I mean? It's enough of a statement because it's made with peacock feathers, so a bold color on top of that isn't entirely necessary. Look at the difference when the feathers are a bright color: 

Hot Pink Peacock Feather Headband, Naughteebits, $21.12

I am the kind of person who can't resist a bold color- more is more in my world, and I don't really follow the rules of moderation when it comes to fashion. Don't get me wrong- this is often to my detriment, but I can't always help myself. I am someone who SHOULD choose the interesting headband in a blend-able color. However, all too often what I end up being is the person who bought the bright pink feather headband instead. That being said, headbands are one of the few accessories that I feel can truly overwhelm me, so I tend to wear darker colored ones when I do choose the option of color. 

What about you? What are your thoughts on headbands in general? Or specifically regarding the color? Do you like them with feathers? Flowers? Rhinestones? Leave a comment and tell me what you think! 

1 comment:

Carla said...

But these headbands are beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails