Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shoesday Tuesday

Over the weekend, I went with my friend Andrea to the King of Prussia Mall- quite possibly one of the best malls I've ever been to. They have Cartier AND Tiffany's. 'Nuff said. They also have DSW, one of my all-time favorite discount shoe stores. DSW is like the TJ Maxx of shoes to me- designer wares at bargain basement prices. Often, the discount price at DSW is not even the real price- SO many of their shoes are marked down at an ADDITIONAL discount. It's amazing. Being in the store on this particular day was fun, but also a little hard as I am not personally in the market for new shoes right now. As ALL of you know, I have a lot of shoes and the last thing I need is another pair. It's like I have a self-imposed shoe-buying restriction. Well, it's not LIKE that. It IS that. Of course, that doesn't mean I can't look at what's out there! (Just because I'm on a diet, doesn't mean I can't look at the menu! Oh, snap!) While Andrea was legitimately shopping for shoes for herself, I perused the store and tried on what I thought to be the most perfect pair of shoes I'd seen in a while. These "Split Personality Reptile" shoes from Naughty Monkey just screamed out to me "BUY ME! BUY ME! BUY ME!!!"


Anyone who knows me, knows that these beauties are exactly the kind of shoe I'm continually drawn to. The classic round toe pump is my signature shoe style, but the added funky details make them even more perfect for yours truly. I've often said that I have shoes in every color of the rainbow and every print imaginable, but when I need a basic black pump, I'm totally at a loss. Fortunately for me, even when the situation calls for a basic black pump, I often find a way around that particular fashion criterion and wear something like fuchsia satin peep toe heels with rhinestone buckles or something equally ostentatious. But I digress. Back to the details of this shoe- the back is a black patent leather in an embossed snakeskin print. The toe is covered in a funky, satin-y, ruched/pleated fabric that reminds me a little of the wings of a butterfly. It's beautiful. I managed to walk away from these shoes. Then a few minutes later, I walked back. I couldn't help myself. "I'll just try them on," I thought. Usually that's the kiss of death for me. Once I try on a pair, I don't want to take them off and then I find myself justifying the purchase and asking the salesperson for a coupon or discount in ADDITION to whatever discount the store is already offering. I'm shameless, I know. (But I usually get a "yes" on the extra discount question, especially if said salesperson is working on commission. Just a little tip for all of YOU!) Anyway, I put these shoes on and immediately felt CRIPPLED! If you click on the link above to see them for sale on the DSW website, considered yourself WARNED- these shoes are without question some of the MOST uncomfortable I've ever encountered in my life.

After only about 2 minutes in them, I HAD to sit down. After another minute SITTING in them, I had to rip them off my feet because my feet were starting to cramp. Please take this review at face value, friends. After all, I am ALWAYS willing to suffer for fashion, particularly where shoes are concerned. So please understand that if you purchase these shoes, you do so at your own peril. I have always said "Beauty hurts." You have to push through the pain. With these shoes, I don't know if I would be capable of pushing through the pain. I would have to be carried around all day and even then, I don't know if I could do it. You think I'm being dramatic, don't you? Well, then see for yourself. Google these shoes and find the closest store that carries them. Try them on. If you don't  believe me now, you'll believe me then! Needless to say, I did not purchase them.

Fortunately, Andrea found two fabulous pair of pumps, so the trip wasn't a total loss:



Faryl by Faryl Robin Amber Suede Pumps, $39.94 (Down from $110!)




I hope to feature Andrea on the blog one day soon- maybe she'll let me show the outfits she makes to go with these shoes. Andrea's a super stylish lady who deserves the feature here. Her outfits are funky and daring- she pushes the envelope and I respect that. So do any of you own a pair of Naughty Monkey shoes? The designs are so exciting and interesting, but after trying on that crippling pair, I'm not sure I'd ever purchase a pair. I do suffer for fashion, but not to the point where I can't walk for a week because of an accessory. That's just crazy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails