Thursday, January 28, 2010

Accessories Anonymous: Organization

I'm sure some of you remember this post where I showed you my earring storage method and how to make it. If you need a reminder, here's the storage method:


Of course, this is only for earrings, so you may have wondered how I store my other accessories: brooches, cocktail rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc. For the longest time, I kept pretty much everything else in the top drawers of my dresser, but lately my necklaces were getting out of control. I had too many of them for the space and since I didn't have any way to keep them from sliding around in the drawers, they were getting all tangled. So, this weekend I organized everything. First, I removed all the necklaces and consolidated all the brooches, rings, bracelets and earrings with studs (vs. earring with French hooks- those hang on the board pictured above) into boxes in only one of the drawers. It now looks like this:



My first thought: I have WAY too many accessories! Honestly, I have hardly any bracelets, so if I ever decide to obsess over that and collect a bunch, I'll have to re-vamp this organizational method yet again. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Now, on to the necklace portion of this post. I wanted a way to hang my necklaces so that they were easy to get to, but where it still looked pretty. I thought about getting one of those necktie racks, but they're such eyesores that I couldn't stomach it. So instead, I developed my own storage device. I started with a satin lingerie hanger. If you don't already have one to spare, they're really inexpensive and you can find them at Target, Walmart, K-Mart, pretty much any department store. Next, I purchased 8 "pearl" buttons. I sewed the buttons onto the top of the hanger, spacing them out about 1 1/2 inches across the entire hanger. This prevents the necklaces from sliding around on the hanger. A lot of lingerie hangers come with stoppers on the ends of the hanger, but I felt that having the stoppers spaced across the whole hanger would help keep the necklaces in order and not bunching up together after sliding down each side. Here's how my necklace collection looks now:



So what do you think? Isn't the satin hanger so much prettier than a chrome tie-rack? Leave me a comment and tell me how you keep your jewelry organized.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails