Saturday, December 11, 2010

My first "Wedding Gown"

My friend Kate asked me to make her a casual wedding dress for a photo shoot she'll be doing next year. I have never made a wedding dress of any kind, but I figured, why not try? After an hour at the fabric store and three more hours in my sewing room, I had this to show for it:


The idea was to have a short, casual dress in ivory that she could wear with mary janes and some other casual accessories. The straps aren't sewn in place yet and she's missing a zipper in the back and of course the belt at the waist hasn't been attached yet. There's still a lot of work to be done before she'll be finished, but I'm happy with the direction she's gone in so far. And since I know you want a close-up of the embellishment at the waist, here it is: 

Just in case you're interested in the details, the bodice is made with 100% silk shantung, while the skirt is polyester tulle and ivory sateen lining. The belt is a satin ribbon wth a chiffon flower detail added onto it. This specific dress will go to Kate, but if you're interested in something similar, feel free to email me. I'd love to help you out! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, very nice Renee! Gwen :-)

Maria said...

It's lovely! Great job!

Renée T. Habashy said...

Thanks, ladies! It was fun to work on it! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails