Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Jet Set Style: Weekender Bag

Today is the start of my weekend. When you work in retail, your weekend often falls on less than typical days. 90% of the time, I don't really get a weekend, since my days off are usually split up. This week is different, however, and I'm taking advantage of that by making a quick trip down to North Carolina to visit the Professor. What makes this weekend different? Well, it's Valentine's Day this week, which means that the shop is pretty much a ghost town. This often surprises people when I tell them that, but think about it: on Valentine's Day, you're probably not shopping for a wedding gown because you are either a.) getting engaged that night or b.) having a romantic dinner with your fiance. Now it makes sense, right?

So, since the day is dead, I decided to switch my days off to allow for two in a row and then I booked a flight to North Carolina. It will be a very quick trip- less than 24 hours together with my honey, but that's ok. We'll make the most of it, I'm sure. Last year on Valentine's Day, I surprised him by showing up at his door. It was quite a shock for him- he didn't expect it at all. I'll always smile when I remember the look on his face when I knocked on his front door. This year won't be a surprise, but it's kind of fun that we've managed to have a quick visit together on Valentine's Day for two years in a row now.

I like these quick trips because packing is really simple. I essentially need to pack an overnight bag and that's about it. My small carry-on suitcases have taken a beating over the last few years, so while I was at TJ Maxx the other day, I picked up an adorable "weekender" bag by Steve Madden and I'm in love with it!



It's big enough to fit the clothes and toiletries I need as well as an extra pair of shoes, my hair dryer and my laptop. And it's still small enough to fit in the overhead bin. I love that it's a bright color and since the leather is faux, it will be easy to keep it clean. Also, it only cost $50 at TJ Maxx, so I think it was a bargain to boot.

I've had pretty terrible luggage for most of my life, but with all the traveling I've been doing for the last couple of years, I figured it was time to get some nicer, functional travel gear. I don't care much about it matching perfectly, but I do want it to be durable enough for all the use it will get.

I couldn't find this exact bag anywhere online, but I did find some similar ones for those of you who may be in the market for new luggage of this kind. Believe it or not, finding a durable, stylish, functional travel duffel bag is no easy task. Finding one that's affordable? Even harder.

Vera Bradley Weekender, Vera Bradley, $98

Let me be clear: there are very few Vera Bradley bags that I would deem stylish or even cute. The hideous floral and paisley patterns are just wretched the majority of the time. This particular print isn't that offensive, in fact, it's kind of cute. Of course, if it doesn't suit you, there are about a dozen other options. 




Happy travels to anyone out there jetting away for the weekend! And as always, thanks for reading! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kind of in love with the Mod Cloth bag....large badge are an obsession of mine at the moment! Like my vintage Samsonite weekend bag I got doe Etsy last year! Can I use it as a purse?

Related Posts with Thumbnails