Monday, July 20, 2009

Staying Dry in Style

I'm leaving at the end of the week to take a vacation "up north" in New England. My family still lives in New Hampshire and we're going to spend a couple of weeks in Maine not far from Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. I'm really looking forward to the vacation, but I'm a little nervous about the weather. According to my mom, last month it rained 26 out of 30 days up there! Talk about dreary and dismal! I'm praying for good weather while we're in Maine, but I'm not stupid- I'm bringing an umbrella. There's one that I borrow from work a lot- it was a rejected prop and I absolutely love it. It's the size of a golf umbrella, but made of clear plastic and trimmed in white. In my opinion, it's a perfect umbrella and big enough for two people to comfortably stay dry. I don't use it when walking through a crowded downtown area because I think the size gets in the way, but other than that, I absolutely love it. I think I love it so much because of the dramatic nature of its size. It adds a touch of whimsy to my day- I feel a little like a cartoon character carrying it in the rain, especially if I have my Tiffany blue galoshes on as well. Even without the galoshes, it's a fun accessory that I never expected to enjoy so much. For the longest time, and umbrella was nothing more than a functional object, but once I discovered the big, clear golf umbrella, my whole perspective changed. I'd recommend adding a whimsical umbrella to your life- you'll be amazed at how much it lifts your spirits on a cloudy, wet day.

Here are a few that might spark your interest all available at http://www.umbrellas.com/:
First, the "Big Flower" a personal favoriteHow about the "Aqua Clear Polka Dot?"For the adventurous lady, here's a mini umbrella, the "Cheetah." This one is (another) personal favorite, the "Peacock."Maybe you don't want to make a statement to the world, but rather keep the whimsy to yourself. This umbrella offers YOU a touch of levity while showing the people around you a simple black canopy. The "Sky Umbrella."
Even if these are a little too eye-catching for your taste, sometimes just a pop of color is enough to add a little cheer to a rainy day. Bright red is an easy color to find, as is royal blue. If you're adventurous you might consider sunshine yellow (for a little irony) or kelly green. There are dozens of websites just like this one that can help you pay homage to your favorite city or artist through your umbrella choice. The sky's the limit (pun intended) when it comes to staying dry.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails