Saturday, February 23, 2013

This Post is for you, Beth!

Last night, I took a drive over to Manchester to meet up with some friends I haven't seen in a while. They are all performing in the Palace Theatre's current production Divas Through the Decades (which, by the way is a super fun production). Anyway, after catching up at dinner, they went off to get their hair and make-up on for the show and I spent some time strolling through the streets of downtown Manchester, popping into shops I didn't know existed because it's been so long since I was in that part of the state! Anyway, in the course of my hour shopping, I saw more than one store carrying the line of Harvey's bags. I had never heard of them, but I learned about them last night and I was wondering what all of you thought about them. Do you already know about these bags? Am I way behind on the trend? If so, please let me know and I'll try to be more up-to-date with my fashion. I guess a girl can't keep up with everything all the time, right?

Anyway, these bags are made entirely out of recycled seat belts. You read that right- seat belts. They come in clutches, totes, shoulder bags, satchels, messengers- you name it! And they all are pretty much made with a pattern of woven seat belts. Check 'em out:






According to their website, the Harvey's are a husband and wife team who decided to make a handbag out of  seat belts. It garnered such praise that they started a business. Apparently, they've done well. I say "Good for them!" I love the ingenuity of the product. I love the idea of products made in the USA. I even like the overall design of a lot of them. I just don't know if I love the look of them enough to want to own one. 

What do all of you think? Please leave a comment and tell me your thoughts on these bags. It's an interesting concept, at the very least, right? 

2 comments:

Beth said...

A post just for me? I am so flattered!! I agree with you—it's an interesting and admirable idea, but I don't love the end product. The second bag (the hobo) was the only one I really liked, and even then I was thinking, Wouldn't this be sweet in buttery shades of leather? I've been buying all of my bags (and lately most of my clothes) secondhand, so I think that's a good way to keep fashion a little more eco-friendly.

Renée T. Habashy said...

Thanks for the comment, Beth! I knew you would have the right perspective. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails