Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy (Little Blue) Boxing day!

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope yours was merry and bright. And Happy Boxing day! Remember this post about the little blue box under my tree? Well, I finally got to open that beautiful box yesterday and the gift inside was absolutely precious and I adore it. It was a Tiffany Blue patent leather and silver coin purse. Of all the accessories my mom could have chosen as a gift for me from Tiffany's, this one is the most perfect!



I know what you're thinking: "Renee, how could you want a coin purse when they have jewelry?" First of all, it's a totally fabulous purse that has a retro feel to it, which as you all know is perfect for me. And, I'll be honest, I already have a gorgeous bracelet from Tiffany's that my parents bought for me several years ago on Christmas. It's the Return to Tiffany oval tag bracelet:

I put it on that year and rarely has a day passed that I have not worn it. I even factored it into a watch-purchasing decision recently. So what is it about Tiffany & Co. that gets us so excited? A simple piece of jewelry becomes a status symbol once placed in an iconic little blue box, but it's more than just the status symbol that gets me. I've been a huge fan of the color Tiffany Blue since I was a little girl, long before I knew is was called "Tiffany Blue." When I got older, I made the connection between the beautiful color and the romantic ideals it inspires in us. I've always loved the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's." I once signed a lease on an apartment without seeing the entire place simply because the bathroom was painted Tiffany Blue. (If you've lived in an apartment complex with nothing but white walls and a clause in the rental agreement about not painting, you might be able to simpathize a bit more with me on that.) And then there's my current apartment. Here's my bedroom:





I love waking up every day feeling like I'm in a Tiffany's box! I painted the walls and made the matching pillows myself, too. They are trimmed in white satin ribbon, just like a Tiffany's box would be. (Except at Christmas time when they wrap a red satin ribbon around those perfect little boxes.) The front pillow is a silver brocade, a perfect complement to the blue and white.


To me, Tiffany's represents more than just the idea of an engagement ring or fancy jewels, it's about special gifts- heirlooms. The pieces from Tiffany's that I have are special because of what they represent and also because of where they come from. To simply have something from Tiffany's is far less exciting than something from Tiffany's that has a special meaning and comes from a special person. That's why I don't think I'd ever purchase something for myself from Tiffany's. I've always said, "At some point in her life, every girl deserves something in a little blue box." I'm fortunate enough to have parents who have made that happen for me.


For those of you who have never been to Tiffany's on 5th Avenue in New York, please go there and look at the Tiffany Diamond- words can't describe it. (But I'll try!) At 128.54 carats, it's one of the largest yellow diamonds ever discovered. Originally over 287 carats, it was cut down to 128.54 carats with 90 facets. Tiffany's philosphy has always been to cut for maximum brilliance as opposed to cutting for maximum size. The gem cutter who cut the Tiffany diamond studied it for a YEAR before making his first cut into it. The most famous settings for the Tiffany diamond were both designed by Jean Schlumberger, who was hired by Tiffany's in the 1950's at a time when jewel-setting was truly becoming recognized as an art form. The first of Schlumberger's famous settings is this extravagant diamond necklace worn by Audrey Hepburn in publicity photographs done for the film "Breakfast at Tiffany's."



The second, perhaps most famous setting is the "Bird on a Rock" brooch which is currently on display at Tiffany & Co. in New York City. If you have not seen this stone in person, find a way to get there and see it. The diamond is literally blinding when the light catches it. The 90 facets sparkle from all angles and although it's less than half its original weight, it's still striking in its size.



Do any of you have stories of little blue boxes? I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails