Sunday, January 24, 2010

My funky earrings

So either NO ONE is reading this blog or the people who read it weren't particularly interested in guessing what my crazy earrings were made of. Remember these earrings from this post?



I blogged about them a few days ago and asked if you could guess what they're made out of. I bought them at Ten Thousand Villages and was shocked when the saleslady told me they were made out of FISH SCALES! For real! At first, I thought, "Ew- that's gross!" But I swear they do not smell at all like fish (which was my first major concern), and they look so cool! They're from an artisan in Peru who hand-dyes the fish scales of the Mero fish and then creates jewelry with the finished scales. Crazy, huh? I hope they ate the fish for dinner first!

3 comments:

f8hasit said...

Without touching them, I would have first thought 'rose petals'...however, that wouldn't work too good for earrings one would suppose.
Fish scales.
Hmmm.
Light. Irridescent. Using ALL of the fish.
Not a bad idea!

They're quite pretty!

Renée T. Habashy said...

I completely agree about flower petals- that's what I thought they were, too. I thought maybe they'd been hardened somehow, but fish scales is even more strange!

B.B. Bellezza said...

wow, they're very cool! They do look like flower petals!

Related Posts with Thumbnails