Saturday, January 2, 2010

I don't make New year's resolutions

It's true- I'm really not into making resolutions on New Year's simply because I try to reflect upon myself, the things I do and the choices I make often enough that come January 1st, I don't feel the need to overhaul any particular area of my life. While this philosophy works in theory, when it comes to practice, it's obviously easier said than done. The one area in my life where I felt the need to make a major resolution is in the area of dating. For those of you who know me, you know that I am dating impaired and that ever since moving to Pennsylvania, my dating life has basically become non-existent. The parts that do exist are comical to say the least. Ultimately, I believe that God has a really special man for me, but until I meet him, I feel doomed to awkward dates full of forced conversation.  (Fortunately, they usually involve a free meal, so it's not a total loss.) Anyway, when asked by my best friend what my new year's resolution was this year, I stated, "To go on better dates." The only problem with that resolution is that I don't know how to make it happen. It's easy to resolve to date more, but to resolve to have higher quality dating experiences? Not so simple. My solution to that dilemma is to simply be the best date I can be and hopefully a truly fabulous man will appreciate me for what I am and vice versa. I don't have a date planned yet for this year, but after I got dressed this morning, I looked in the mirror and thought, "This could be a great date outfit." It's demure, but figure-flattering. Simple, but unique.



It's a simple jersey-knit dress by Max Studio, layered over my Anna Sui for Target Gossip Girl top and then cinched with a black faux-patent-leather belt. I've got on my signature black tights, and what are fast becoming my signature shoes- the round toe wedges from Burlington Coat Factory. Finally, the cocktail ring was a Christmas gift from Beth this year. I adore it and have secretly been eyeing some very similar to it on Etsy and in many of the shops I've visited over the last few weeks.



If I were to make a New Year's resolution in regards to my wardrobe, it would probably have something to do with finding new ways to use what I already own. This outfit is actually a perfect example of that. The dress and top are both more summery pieces, but when combined, they offer enough coverage and warmth that I don't feel like I'm wearing a summer outfit in winter. In the coming months, I hope to put together interesting new outfits using pieces I already own. I also hope to make more garments and accessories for myself. It's far less expensive than purchasing new things and far more satisfying as well. My red dress is evidence of that. Once again, this is something that's easier said than done. I have plenty of ideas for clothes and accessories I'd like to make for myself, but actually finding the time to do it is something else entirely. As the year progresses, we'll see how successful I am, won't we?

2 comments:

B.B. Bellezza said...

Love the outfit! Also, I have no idea how to have better dates...but the more you go on the more likely that there will be a good one in the bunch, right? (not so helpful, I know....)
Happy New Year!

Astroman said...

I agree, it's a great date outfit, and it's very figure flattering.

Hmmm. Suggestions for better dates. Not sure I can help much there, but I wish you the best in making 2010 a great year for great dates!

Related Posts with Thumbnails