Sunday, July 10, 2011

Beauty Product Review: Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer

I don't know about you, but no matter what the season- whether it's the most humid part of July or the driest day in January, I struggle to keep my lips moisturized. Softlips lip balms were always my favorite in terms of moisturizing, while I always favored other products like the L'Oreal Infallible line or Buxom lips for color. While Softlips are great for moisturizing alone, they don't provide color at all, at least not the products that do the best job moisturizing. And while I love the lip colors in my make-up bag, sometimes I just want a touch of sheer color  as opposed to a really saturated look. I had resigned myself to a life of dissatisfaction in lip products until I discovered the ideal product had been right under my nose for year. Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer is a product I see pretty much everywhere I go, but I always thought of that brand as being utilitarian and not exactly a "beauty" product. I'd only ever known crunchy, granola types to use that brand with any regularity, so I hadn't really associated it with a beauty regime. Narrow minded, I know. Go ahead and judge me, after all, I judged the granolas.


One thing I love about Softlips and Buxom is that your lips get that tingle-y feeling when you apply the product. Not everyone loves that feeling, but for me, it's the mark of a great product. I absolutely love the tingle and without it, I'm never quite satisfied with a lip product. I'm sure it's partly psychological, but the fact remains that the products that actually made my lips soft were the ones that started with a tingle. When I saw that Burt's has peppermint as one of the (100% natural) ingredients, I thought I might have found a new favorite. (All too often, that tingle-y feeling comes from alcohol, which dries your lips out.) When I saw the range of colors available, I knew I'd found a product I'd be using for years to come. "Fig" is my favorite color because it's a touch darker than my natural lip color without being overpowering. I don't look too "done up" when I'm wearing it, but I also look presentable and polished. 

So if you're looking for an inexpensive, all-natural, moisturizing lip color, Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer is where it's at. And despite my narrow-minded opinion from years ago, I now know it really is a true beauty product.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails